Thursday, June 17, 2010

Amy is List Girl

It's true, for years I've kept "journals" that mainly consist of lists. As much as I read one would think that my journals consisted of pure prose. Alas, that is not the case. I fill the pages with oddball lists, such as "My favorite food blogs" or "German Men That I find Attractive". I can't wait for my grandkids to discover these literary gems. There is one list that I've kept every year for the past decade though. An ongoing list of books that I've read. I hit the 40 mark the other day with 'God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything' by Christopher Hitchens. If you have faith in your faith you'll find this book to be a very interesting read. And if you're like Mr. Hitchens, he merely validates what you've been thinking all along. I choose to stay as neutral as Sweden on the subject, thank you very much.
So I've read 40 books thus far this year. As I perused the list I realized that most of the books have been nonfiction. This is a first. I normally gravitate toward fiction. And in thse times escapism would be granted. As always, I walk the unbeaten path. Getting to the point of this post...here are a few nonfiction books that I've read that I consider to be worth your time:
Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex by Mary Roach
American Nerd: The Story of My People by Benjamin Nugent
Race Matters by Cornel West
Democracy Matters by Cornel West
Water: The Epic Struggle for Wealth, Power, and Cvilization by Steven Solomon
Where Men Win Glory: The Odyssey of Pat Tillman by Jon Krakauer

These books are all in the stacks here at the Lantana Public Library, so I encourage you, the townfolk, to stop in and check any of these books out. I think you'll find that they are worth the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment